Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fishing with David Lambroughton

Early last week, after a stint working at a hazelnut farm on the North Island, I caught a bus to the town of Turangi on the south shore of Lake Taupo.  I had initially planned to stay one night with the option of extending my visit if the fishing was good.  However, immediately after arriving, I met a guy named Mark at my hostel who is also fly fishing here in New Zealand.  Mark guides salmon fishing in British Columbia, and his boss had put him in touch with fishing photographer David Lambroughton.

Check out David's site at http://davidlambroughton.com/  David's work has appeared in all major fly fishing magazine publications, catalogs, and he is well known for his annual fishing photography calendar, which I encourage people to check out on his site.

An hour after arriving in Turangi, I was checking out the river levels with David and Mark, and we had established a rough plan to fish together the rest of the week.  The best part of traveling is the way that these things can work out, especially within the brotherhood of fly fishermen.

Mark and I fished 5 days around Taupo, 4 of them with David.  We hit rivers of all sizes, from spring creeks to wide rivers flowing into Lake Taupo.  Mark and I both ended up 'modeling' for some of David's shots, and I am proud to say that some of them came out quite well. 

Spring Creek fishing our first day with David

Yes, it is filled with trout







We caught fish, though I have no photo proof, and it was fun to sight fish again and land some nice rainbows in the 3-4 pound range and a nice brown that weighed 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment